Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

Potato Leek Soup

This is one of my very favorite soups. It's simple and easy, and it makes me feel all cozy on a cold winter's night. It tastes potatoey and oniony, salty, and smooth. Mmmm...makes me want to make some even in the middle of summer. 
When I serve this for dinner, it's not quite hearty enough for my husband, so I usually have to cook some meat on the side, but for me, it's great just as it is, with maybe just. a crusty roll to dip in it. It's also great warmed up the next day or the day after that. It's just good food.

Potato Leek Soup

Ingredients
:
  • 2 Tbsp butter

  • 4 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only

  • 4 cups chicken broth

  • 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

  • 1/4 cup cream or half and half
  • Salt to taste

  • bacon bits for garnish, if desired (I use the real bacon bits in a jar)
Directions
:
1 Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, potatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
2 Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Using a immersion blender, blend until smooth.  (You can also work in batches in a regular blender, but the hand blender is so much easier.)
3 Stir in cream or half and half. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with bacon bits, if desired.
Serves 6.
Adapted from a recipe offered by Jones Dairy Farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment