Sunday, August 11, 2013

Gluten Free French Rolls


Gluten Free French Rolls


 Better Batter Gluten Free Flour,  BetterBatter.org 
I discovered Better Batter Gluten Free Flour last Thanksgiving while perusing the gluten free section at our new fancy HyVee grocery store. My sister-in-law told me she'd heard good things about it, and I'd seen a gf pretzel recipe on Pinterest that called for this gf flour. I went ahead and bought a box, even though it was pricer than most gf flours. I gave it a go with some Gluten Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free Pretzel Nuggets, and what do you know--it was awesome! Once I knew this flour worked, I started looking around their website and found a recipe for French Bread. The bread turned out too gummy, but the next time I made it I tried to make the "dough," which is more of a batter, into rolls. And it worked too! I fell even more in love with Better Batter, and now I'm almost at the end of my second 25 pound bag that I purchased online (half the price of buying it at HyVee).
My son LOVES these rolls, and I've recently started making them bigger to accommodate my growing boy.
These are actually best if they're baked, then frozen, and reheated. I think the freezer dries them out a bit. When you eat one fresh out of the oven, it will look beautifully baked, but the texture is a little gummy. It's less gummy after freezing and reheating. At least that's the way they've been working around here for us.

Gluten Free French Rolls
     --adapted from BetterBatter.org

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 1/2 cups Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
  • 2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
  • Ice cubes
Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or grease it) and sprinkle with the cornmeal. Set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the water and the yeast. Allow to sit for five minutes to soften the yeast. 
Add the flour and the salt. Beat on low until flour is all wet, and then beat on high for 5 minutes.
Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop batter and then scrape out with a silicone/rubber spatula, making the dough blobs as round as possible. Space blobs about 1 1/2 inches apart. (I fit only 9 on my pan, but I could have made all 12 on one pan.)
With wet fingers, gently smooth out the rough spots on the dough blobs. They don't have to be perfect, just not jagged. 
Allow to rise for about 35-45 minutes. 
Place in the preheated oven and throw four ice cubes into the bottom of the oven to produce some steam. After 6-7 minutes, put in four more ice cubes and bake for another 11-13 minutes, or until rolls are nicely browned.
Remove from oven and cool rolls on a wire rack.
Makes 12 rolls

Unbaked dough blob sitting there to rise.


No comments:

Post a Comment